Thursday, October 1, 2009

Report from Kim Richey

The day before the ground-breaking for the Edible Schoolyard, there was a picture of Alice Waters in the News and Record. We had already prepped Lily for attending the ceremony by saying that we were going to meet a “famous chef.” We showed it to her and she said, “She doesn’t look like a famous chef!” How little does she know! Isn’t it amazing how children equate someone having “importance” with that person having a certain look about them? When Lily, my husband, and I initially arrived at the ceremony (albeit late; parking was a bear!), even I scanned the people at the front thinking, “OK. Which one is Alice Waters?” Admittedly, I was immediately able to dismiss the men, but there were a few women up front that I was watching so as to figure out who was who.

When Alice stood up and talked, I thought “What a sweet voice she has!” And then I thought, “What passion she has!” To me, it is interesting to hear someone speak about a topic that you know little about. This “farm-to-table” movement is brand new to me (almost as new to me as having met Anne-Marie)! You see, growing up, my mother worked 2nd shift. She cooked the food each morning before she left the house, which my younger sister and I would then heat up in a microwave when we got home from school. Not being around when my mother cooked limited my exposure to cooking. In addition, because of the pressure on my mom to cook a meal before leaving the house, she used canned and frozen foods (just as many women of her generation and mine were taught to do). My mother disliked cooking, though. So, when she was off work, we often went out to eat. So, even on her “off” days, my exposure to cooking was somewhat limited. Thankfully, I did observe my grandmothers cook a bit, but the point I am trying to make here is that if Anne-Marie can make a difference in my cooking perspectives and abilities, then she will have influenced me to “break the cycle” and do differently by Lily.

And this for me is connected to something I said to Tina Firesheets, “When you have a child, and they’re so young and pure, you want to do better about feeding them food that doesn’t have preservatives.” As a mother, I think about Lily’s little body: her pure lungs, her (hopefully) unclogged arteries, her little limbs that run so fast and jump so high. And then I let her eat a hamburger from McDonald’s? (She has actually only eaten 3 McDonald’s hamburgers in her entire life, but you get my point). And all of this “purity” (if you will) started as she was growing within my womb. That’s not necessarily because I was the best eater when I was expecting, but because of how I’ve come to notice how nature tends to take care of the little ones when they are still in utero. (BTW, I am a nurse and I work at the only free-standing birth center in NC. So, more references to pregnancy and birth are still to come, I’m sure).

As a wife, I feel incredibly grateful. I have been married for 10 years to the best man that I could have ever met and loved. As his wife, I want to be sure that he (as we say to one another) lives forever. What better way to do that than to change how we eat?

So, yes, Anne-Marie, if you can give me the tools to do better in the garden and in our kitchen, then you will have impacted 2 generations of our family - and not just 2 generations, but the lives of the 2 people I love most.
Kim

1 comment:

  1. Love the personal entry, very well done! Everybody is pulling for you and your family Kim! Keep up the good work and we know that Dr. Scott will do everything she can to support you! You're definitely in good hands!

    ReplyDelete